Saturday, September 26, 2015

Same Sex Marriage?

Now I know what you are all thinking. Why do people keep discussing the same thing over and over again? Well, I do believe that this is a serious topic that should be discussed considering it will impact future generations. That's your kids!
I recently just realized what this could mean even for me. I grew up with eight siblings and two very wonderful parents who loved and constantly support us. I have been beyond blessed. Recently I started a family relations class at college and always had a very strong opinion about gay marriage and how I believe it should work. My opinion still hasn't changed but grown stronger. I do believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. But that's all I thought. My only good reason was due to the fact that, that is what the Lord wanted for us. But he wanted much more then that, He wanted family. Family is the foundation of how to be happy. Think about it for a second? The saying, "Happy Wife equals happy life." It should be "Happy family equals happy life." Although it doesn't rhyme! I know due to my personal experiences that my family has shaped me into what I am right now but also into what I know I can become. That being said, I am not saying that gay relationships can't be happy, I believe they can be very happy. But I also believe that bringing children into a relationship of same sex marriage can have negative impacts. Before I bring in some statics I learned in class of these negative impacts, I want you to think about something important. There is a reason why the same gender can not procreate. Now I want you to think of the roles of a woman and a man in a marriage. No, I am not talking about the women in the kitchen and the men at work; I am talking about the roles in how to raise children. Women think of the divine responsibility we have here on earth to give birth to God's children! How neat is that! And think of the strong bonds between a women and her child and think of the bond between a father and his child. Both bonds have huge advantages to a child's stages. Every child deserves to have both of those bonds! They deserve to have the compassionate nurturing side of their mother and the selfless and protective love from their father.
Now in my class at school everyone made excellent points on this topic. One girl in my class mentioned something very important to me, she spoke of how she was raised just by her mother and how well off they are but also she has seen her mother struggle trying to do both roles and how hard that has been for her. I think it is important that their is ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. Yes, there have been happy families and healthy environments in gay families and families that have one parent. Every family has their hard ships and trials but some of those hardships can be avoided depending on our choices.
For instance, I want to be with my family forever and because of my loving parents decision to get married in the temple and be sealed, I will be with my entire family in heaven FOREVER! That is amazing. But this was also because my parents used their agency and we were blessed by the Lord.
My point of this entire topic is to think of your kids and your family. What do you wish was different? What do you want to happen? How far will go to put away the selfish desires of the world and do what you think is best for your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment